You want to know how to handle the WA state filing notification from Avalara
You are receiving this email because it was identified that your Washington state filing frequency has been changed from Quarterly to Monthly by the Washington DOR retroactively as of the October 2017 filing period. The state has recognized the significance of updating tax payers’ filing requirements after the October 2017 filing due date. Therefore, the state has extended the timely submission date for October 2017 returns to December 22nd 2017.
The state of Washington has and will be sending taxpayers notices regarding changes in filing frequency. If you received this notice, you do not need to submit it to Avalara as it is now being addressed with the following options:
- If you would like Avalara to update your filing calendar effective 10/1/17 as a monthly frequency and have Avalara backfile your October 2017 return and file your November, 2017 return: Upon confirmation of filing frequency with the state, please respond directly to this email with confirmation of your selection. Our team will file the October return at your standard return rate and notify you via this case once the return has been filed. In an effort to expedite the payment process, your company will be responsible for remitting the tax directly to the state through the WA state website (XX) in a timely fashion for the October return ONLY (the November return will be funded and paid through the normal returns and funding process). Payment is able to be submitted using the following instructions:
- Log onto your WA state account (https://fortress.wa.gov/dor/efile/FortressLogon/Logon.aspx)
- On the left hand side of the page, under Invoices & payment options, select Pay/view invoices (Billpay)
- Select the outstanding liability for the October 2017 period and follow the prompts to pay the liability
- If you would like Avalara to update your filing calendar effective 11/1/17 as a monthly frequency, you will backfile your October 2017 return IN HOUSE, but have Avalara file your November 2017 return: Upon confirmation of filing frequency with the state, please respond directly to this email with confirmation of your selection.
- If you would like Avalara to update your filing calendar effective 1/1/18 as a monthly frequency and your company will file October, November and December 2017 returns IN HOUSE: Upon confirmation of filing frequency with the state, please update your online filing calendar in the Admin Console.
- If we do not hear from you by the specified time below, your filing calendar will NOT be updated and we will file your Q4 return in January, 2018. If changes need to be made to your filing frequency, you will be responsible for updating your filing calendar via the Admin Console and filing any returns for previous periods.
You must confirm that you would like Avalara to file one or both these returns by 5 PM Eastern time on Monday 12/11/2017. You can confirm these returns by either responding to this email. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.