The Sales Tax Item field is blank and will not let me select a value in the field for AvaTax to work.
AvaTax for QuickBooks Online
- In My Apps, Disconnect the Avatax Plugin.
- Under Products and Services rename the item Sales Tax to a new value such as Sales Tax - Old
- Reconnect the AvaTax App
If the above does not work continue on and create the Sales Tax service manually using the steps below.
- Set up a new service in Products and Service.
- Instructions on how to create products and services can be found in the Intuit Help Center
- When creating a new service enter Sales Tax in the Name field
- Set the Income Account to your sales tax account (i.e. Sales Tax Payable)
- Click Save and close
- Ensure that the Sales Tax item is reference by AvaTax by going to Apps > My Apps
- Click Action > Launch
- On the AvaTax for QuickBooks Online landing page, click AvaTax connector settings
- Ensure that the Sales Tax item is listed in the Sales Tax Item field. If not select it from the drop down.