You're trying to calculate tax for transactions in your error list in QuickBooks Desktop but you get an error that says: "Root element is missing."
- in QuickBooks Desktop, press F2 to see the full path of where the Avalara folder is.
- Close QuickBooks Desktop, open the Task Manager, and for all QB, Quickbooks, Intuit, Ava, Axlbridge processes, click End Task.
- In the Avalara folder, open Companyname_ErrorList.xml.
- You have 2 options:
- Delete the file; or
- Edit the file and add the following:
Restart QuickBooks Desktop.
If this doesn't work:
Start Quickbooks by right clicking on the startup icon. Choose Run as Administrator and test a transaction. If this resolves it, modify the properties of the startup icon using these steps:
- Right click the QuickBooks Desktop startup Icon and choose Properties.
- Click on the Compatibility tab, and choose Change settings for all users at the bottom.
- Click the check box under Privilege Level to Run this program as an administrator.
- Click OK and exit.
- Start Quickbooks normally and test the transaction.
For more information, review fix sales tax errors.