Most common Quickbooks errors and issues have to do with Quickbooks instances that have not completely shut down between quitting and restarting the Quickbooks application. The following steps are useful in quickly resolving many problems with the Quickbooks AvaTax integration.
- Most issues can be resolved by upgrading your AvaTax connector to the latest version.
If you still face an issue, follow these steps:
- In your File menu select Edit > Preferences and ensure that "Keep QuickBooks running for quick start-ups" is unchecked
- If it is checked, uncheck this option and save your change
- Go to Edit > Preferences > Integrated Applications > Company Preferences
- Make sure there is only 1 AvaTax listed
- If there is more than one AvaTax application listed, please log into Quickbooks as the Admin user in Single-User Mode and delete the AvaTax application that does not match your current version of AvaTax
- Close the Quickbooks Application
- Open up the task manager by pressing the CTRL+ALT+DEL keys or by pressing CTRL+Shift+Esc
- In the Processes Tab of the Task Manager, right click on any item in the list which begins with QB, Quickbooks, Intuit, AvalaraEventCallback, or AXLBridge and select "End Process"
- Pull up a Windows Explorer and go to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) and right-click on the Avalara folder
- Choose Properties > Security > Edit
- Make sure all "Group or User Names:" entries have Full Control
- You may need to reach out to your Network Admin or IT department to have these changes made
- Reopen Quickbooks and go to File Menu > Avatax > Configuration
- On the General tab, press the Test Connection button.
- If the test connection is successful, try calculating tax
- Restart the computer on which QuickBooks is launched, as this will clear any hidden files or processes which may still be running.
- If you are still experiencing issues, please contact Customer Support for further assistance.