I'd like to handle exemptions solely through Netsuite.
If your company isn't using AvaTax Exemption or Avalara CertCapture, and if you're not using the entity/use code field on an invoice. There are two ways to exempt a customer.
- In NetSuite, on the customer record go to the AvaTax tab.
- Uncheck 'TAXABLE' field. The TaxItem field should remain as AVATAX.
- When the invoice is posted to AvaTax, 'Exempt' will be populated in the 'Customer Exempt No.' field.
- Type the word EXEMPT in the AvaTax 'Exemption Certificate No.' field.
- Any text in the field will make the customer exempt.
- This method does not work in Hawaii. Instead, use entity/use codes.