When calculating tax for a customer it results in zero tax rather unexpectedly.
- In the Avalara Admin console
- In the transactions tab look for the document in question
- In the Transaction Detail expand the line in question by clicking the > Symbol
- If the Amount is in the Exempt filed.
- If there is a symbol on the line it means there's an exemption certificate on file for the customer
- If there is not exemption certificate click the Edit button
- Confirm that the Exemption No and Entity Use Code fields are not populated
- Go to the lines tab and edit the line in question
- Confirm that the Exemption No & Entity Use Code filed is not populated
- If the amount is in the Non-Taxable field
- Make sure that you have nexus activated for the state in question which is explained here
- Confirm you don't have any custom rules changing the taxability of the tax code
- Confirm that the taxability of the tax code didn't change for the current month which can be confirmed here
- Select the current month
- Choose Tax Rule Content Updates from the Table of Contents
- If you are unable to find out why your customer is not charging tax when you expected to please contact Support with the below information.
- Account Number & Environment you're working in (Production or Development)
- Company Name that contains the transaction
- Document Code
- Document Date
- Customer Code