The following error appears on the History tab of a certificate:
API call initiated for certificate: Failure.
(Invalid ExemptReasonId and region combination)
- The exemption reason is not valid for the exposure zone (state/province/country as specified in the error)
- Go to Details on the certificate > click Edit:
- Choose a different exempt reason in the drop down
- Choose one that is appropriate based on the certificate provided
- Custom is a generic exemption, it is handled as an L Other type exemption
- Click Update Certificate
This happens when the reason code you've selected is not exempt in the region or regions listed in your multi-jurisdictional certificate
- This often happens when states that do not have a sales tax are part of your certificate (New Hampshire, Oregon, Montana, Alaska, Delaware)
- Since the above states do not have a sales tax, these regions will always fail as part of a multi-jurisdictional certificate
To resolve this, go back through the validation process, but this time exclude the region(s) causing the API error.