You want to know how to upgrade to the newest build of the AvaTax for Microsoft Dynamics GP connector for your current Microsoft Dynamics GP version.
Microsoft Dynamics GP
Note: These instructions are not for upgrades to both GP and AvaTax. For example, you are on Dynamics GP 2013 and are only updating the AvaTax version. You are not moving from Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 to 2013 and need to update AvaTax to one of the versions for Dynamics GP 2013.
Note: If you're upgrading to Microsoft Dynamics GP 2015 you need to drop the Avalara tables before installing the new connector. Click here to find out how
Note: It is best practice to uninstall the current Avatax connector BEFORE you upgrade the GP version.
- Download the new build in your Admin Console
- Login to Microsoft Dynamics GP as user SA and copy the Avalara credentials in Microsoft Dynamics GP > Tools > Setup > System > Avatax > Configuration (You may need the account number, license key, URL, etc.)
- Have all users log out of all companies in Microsoft Dynamics GP and completely close Microsoft Dynamics GP.
- On the server, navigate to your Control Panel and click either Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs.
- Locate your existing AvaTax installation for Microsoft Dynamics GP.
- Right-click the installation and select Remove/Uninstall.
- Repeat on every workstation where AvaTax is installed.
- To install the new version of AvaTax, click the Avalara Avatax for Dynamics GP.exe
- Click Next.
- (Optional) Enter User and Company information.
- Click Next > Next > Install .
- Click Browse and navigate to the folder where Microsoft Dynamics GP is located and click OK.
- In some server operating systems the navigation window is set to the desktop and you can’t browse properly. In this case, simply copy the location of the GP folder and paste it to the navigation bar in the Choose Folder.
- Click Next.
- Click Finish.
- Launch Microsoft Dynamics GP
- In the dialog window, a prompt asks you to accept new code, click Yes.
- Log in as SA.
- Open the first Company in your company list.
- Click through the upgrade wizard accepting defaults.
- Repeat for each other company on your database, even if you do not use AvaTax on that company.