You were collecting a tax type for the jurisdiction that is not handled on the form that is being filed - and you will have to recalculate all affected transactions.
To rectify this, the following steps may be required:
- Edit your nexus settings to update to matching tax type supported by the form that is being filed
- Recalculate all existing transactions afterwards
*Note: Simply changing the nexus settings to the correct tax type does not automatically recalculate existing transactions.
(if you skip this step - a zero return will be filed)
If you have multiple transactions you need to recalculate - you may do so in the admin console by following the instructions listed here:
- Go to Reports > Standard Sales Tax Reports > Export Reports > Document Lines
- Pull the report for the period (and region) you need to adjust
- Download the import template: Go to Tools > Import Data > choose Transactions > click Download
- Copy the data from the Document Lines report and paste it in the correct column in the Transaction Import template and save it
Headers between the export file and the import file do not always match
Go to Tools > Import Data > choose Transactions > click Import
Afterward, an amended return may be required. If you would like Avalara Returns to file an amended return or file late for a fee, follow these instructions exactly to Amend and File Late.