You see that customers can be marked as a ShipTo or BillTo and they can be linked to other customers as a ShipTo or BillTo customer. You want to know what this feature does and why you would use it.
- ShipTo and BillTo are attributes assigned to a customer record when a customer is marked as a ship to or bill to when created, or if a customer is linked to another customer in a ShipTo-BillTo relationship
- This is most often used with multiple customers that need to share the same certificates, but only for certain states.
- Most common scenario is a corporate headquarters with multiple subsidiaries, the corporate headquarters would provide an exemption covering several states, which should be applied to subsidiaries, and they all have different customer numbers
- When you link customers by adding them as a ShipTo or BillTo, certificates will flow down from the BillTo to the ShipTo in the state of the ShipTo customer address
- Every certificate attached to the BillTo customer that is for the state the ShipTo customer is located in will be attached to the ShipTo customer in an Indirect link
- For example, a ShipTo customer with an address in Colorado will automatically be attached to any certificate in Colorado that is attached to its BillTo customer.
For more information, see add customers.