I want to know how to add a pre-payment or prior payment to my liability worksheet.
- In the Admin Console go to Returns > Manage and Approve Returns
- Click > next to the state/province/country you need to make the entry
- Click Tax Details and Adjustments
- In the Amount Due to Avalara window, click Add Adjustments, and enter the Prior or Pre-Payment amount > Save
- Pre-Payment is a payment that you need to remit in addition to your tax liability.
- Prior Payment is a payment you have already paid on your own via some other method and need to add to your worksheet to reduce that amount due.
- If you are unable to enter the prepayment amount, it may be because the liability worksheet has not yet been built for the period in question.
- If you are trying to enter a prepayment for Q4 for instance, you will not be able to do so until January 1.
Note: You can only edit the prepayment and prior payment if you have not approved the return and we are not automatically calculating a prepayment for that regular filing. If the area is grayed out, so you cannot update the amount, you need to submit a case to Support to have it updated.
To submit a case to our Support team, please fill out this online form: https://help.avalara.com/Directory/Contact_Avalara/Submit_a_Case
For further training in reconciling pre-payments, prior payments and other liability differences on your liability worksheet, please attend our Liability Worksheet Webinar.