You would like to override the Florida County Single Article Cap so that it applies to the entire invoice rather than the individual line item.
- You can create a tax rule which makes your sales in Florida apply the tax cap based on the invoice value of $5,000 or above, rather than the individual item value of $5,000
- The rules force the tax cap to apply whenever the total invoice value is above $5,000, regardless of the item value
- Download this file and import it under Organization > Tax Rule > Import
- (NOTE! Be aware that Excel strips the leading zeroes from the import if you open it and resave the document, make sure column H is padded as "001")
- Please contact support if you have any questions
Note: By default, Avalara AvaTax will calculate Florida Discretionary Surtax tax at the item level and not the invoice level, as this is the general rule when calculating this tax for Florida.
For Example: You sell 2,000 1 pound bags of rice for $3 each. Invoice shows Qty of 2,000 at $3 each. This invoice does not have a single item valued over $5,000, so the Florida Discretionary Surtax will not be applied.
You sell a pallet of 2,000 pounds of rice for $6,000. Invoice shows Qty of 1 at $6,000 each. This invoice has a single item valued over $5,000, so you may see that the Florida Discretionary Surtax is applied and that the county tax rate is only applied to the first $5,000 of the line item. The law in Florida usually reads that to apply to an invoice, the items must be part of a whole. For Example, an invoice containing the individual parts of a roof itemized out separately that still hits the surtax limit. The general rule of thumb if you are questioning this item vs. invoice policy is to verify if the state believes the invoice in question should be taxed at the item or invoice level. Avalara will always suggest to call the state to get a determination. For more information, please see the Florida Department of Revenue.
If needed, an Avalara AvaTax tax code attached to an item can be forced to make Florida Discretionary Surtax calculate at the invoice level. Avalara Custom Florida Tax Cap is a rule import you can use to create this tax code. Open the spreadsheet and change the TaxCode (field K) to the tax code you want to use.
If you update the system so that we apply the Florida Discretionary Surtax to the entire invoice value, both of the example invoices could have the Florida Discretionary Surtax applied and you could see the county tax rate applied to the first $5,000 of the value.