If you see an error in QuickBooks Desktop that indicates AvaTax and QuickBooks aren’t connecting successfully, follow steps below to repair your connection.
TLS 1.0 and 1.1 were deprecated March 31, 2022 for REST v2 connections. Current connection issues can be resolved by following instructions below. Instructions here are for Windows users. Your experience may deviate slightly if using another operating system.
For a successful repair, follow all instructions below.
Before you start
Check this list to ensure your version of QuickBooks Desktop or Enterprise is supported. If it's not, update all workstations with QuickBooks to the same supported version.
Make sure you have Administrator privileges for QuickBooks and your operating system
To download the latest AvaTax for QuickBooks Desktop integration file
Go to https://home.avalara.com
Go to Settings > Integrations
On the Manage integration tab, go to the tile for Connector for QuickBooks Desktop
Click See Connector Versions > Download the latest version. (version 95.02v2)
Extract the contents of the .zip file to a location where you can retrieve it
Repair the connection
If you're connecting multiple workstations, repair the connection between QuickBooks and AvaTax on each workstation before moving to the next one.
- Prepare by following Before you start instructions above
- Reboot all workstations with QuickBooks
- Log all users out of all workstations with QuickBooks
- To make sure no QuickBooks processes are running
- Type Ctrl+Alt+Delete and open Task Manager
- On the Processes tab search for QuickBooks processes and terminate them. This will include processes with QuickBooks in the name, as well as processes with names starting with QB
- Delete the current AvaTax for QuickBooks Desktop integration file from Windows. Do not remove any Intuit QuickBooks desktop software
- Open Windows Control Panel
- Navigate to Add / Remove programs
- Locate the AvaTax for QuickBooks integration
- Select Uninstall
- Wait for the uninstall to complete before moving on
- Rename a current folder so it doesn’t compete with one you create in next steps. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Avalara\AvaTax Adapter, and update the name of Bin to Bin(old)
- To install the new integration file you downloaded and unzipped as part of requirements
- Right-click the AvaTaxForQuickBooksDesktopv1.00.95.02v2.zip file from the unzipped folder, and then select Run as administrator
- Follow the prompts to install Connector for QuickBooks Desktop, and then select Finish when the installation completes
- To start the AvaTax setup in Quickbooks, right-click the QuickBooks program tile and select Run as administrator
- Check your new connector installation to make sure the connection between QuickBooks and AvaTax is working as expected. In QuickBooks, go to File > AvaTax > Preferences > Connection tab
- Click Upgrade Connection. You should see a green check with connection confirmation, and the integration number in the lower left of the window should be xx.xx.95.02v2
- In the same window, click Get AvaTax Company, and then in the AVATAX COMPANY dropdown, select the AvaTax company you’re connecting QuickBooks to. Click OK to finalize and exit
Repeat the same process for all machines with QuickBooks.