Avalara continuously researches and maintains full, country-specific tariff codes (10–12 digits). Contact us if you think we've assigned the wrong tariff code to a product.
Before you begin
Avalara Item Classification is a tariff code assignment service. AvaTax uses tariff codes and other transaction components to calculate the correct duty rate.
If you're using a tax calculation service other than AvaTax, contact that provider before disputing tariff code assignments with Avalara.
- Verify that tariff code assignments are properly configured in your account
- Avalara tariff codes should be passed at the line level of your transaction
- For consistency, map your items to tariff codes in Settings > What You Sell
- If your tariff code assignments are fine, submit a case to Support with the following information:
- Company Name
- Customer Name
- Account Number
- Tariff code
- Documentation that the calculation or code is incorrect
- The associated product, good, or service
- The expected result
- Destination country