Effective December 1, 2019, a new 20% supplemental sales tax applies to retail sales of vapor products in New York. As per the New York Department of Taxation, any business that intends to sell vapor products must be registered as a vapor products dealer before making sales of vapor products.
If you are a registered vapor products dealer with the jurisdiction, and would like Avalara to report and file vapor tax on your behalf, follow the steps in the Resolution section below.
NOTE: All current New York filers must update their scheduled return by 2/28/2020 to have Avalara report vapor product tax.
If you are a registered vapor products dealer with the New York jurisdiction, and would like Avalara to report and file vapor tax on your behalf, take these steps:
- In AvaTax, use these vapor products product codes to calculate this supplemental 20% sales tax:
- PS160800 (Electronic cigarettes)
- PS160801 (Electronic cigarettes and nicotine refill cartridge)
- PS160802 (Nicotine refill cartridges for electronic cigarettes).
NOTE: If these product codes are not used, the supplemental rate will not be calculated, filed, and remitted by Avalara.
- Update your scheduled return to indicate this filing requirement by answering Yes to the Do you have retail sales of vapor products? question.
- From the AvaTax home page, click on Returns > All Scheduled Returns
- Choose Edit next to your active NYST100, NYST101, or NYST100.
- Answer Yes or No to the new Do you have retail sales of vapor products? question, and Save.
NOTE: All current New York filers must update their scheduled return by 2/28/2020. Avalara will not report vapor product tax for any customers who do not answer Yes by 2/28/2020.
To determine if you are subject to this new filing requirement, please review the information in the state-provided links below to determine whether you are subject to this new filing requirement. For help on registering as a Vapor Products Dealer, or for further help to determine if you are subject to this requirement, please reach out directly to the New York Department of Taxation at 518-485-2889.