You would like to know how to do a rate look up or confirm the tax jurisdictions for an address.
Avalara AvaTax Update
Avalara uses the latest information available from states and territories to determine accurate tax rates. When you're uncertain about tax rates in a given jurisdiction, contact your state's Department of Revenue.
- Utilize the free Sales Tax Calculator and Rate Lookup Tool
- Create a test transaction in AvaTax using the address in the Tax Calculator
- Look up state rates with your state's Department of Revenue
- Below are all the links that we currently have that will help you determine the rate of a given jurisdiction or address.
- This is NOT a comprehensive list. States change their sites frequently and some only offer rates for local jurisdictions.
- Canada GST/HST (The calculator will show a full rate for GST, PST and/or HST. The table only shows if the jurisdiction has GST or HST. It does NOT include PST.)
- Illinois - (Under Businesses > Inquiries > "Go to the Tax Rate Finder to retrieve a location based tax rate")
- If the Illinois website asks you to close duplicate or re-opened tabs after clicking the above link, click Start Over and then follow the steps to the Tax Rate Finder.
- Missouri - (Missouri also provides a separate Motor Vehicle, Trailer, ATV and Watercraft Tax Calculator)
- New York - (Requires a security code)
- New Mexico
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Utah - (Under For Business > Lookup Sales Tax Rates)
- West Virginia
Note: Some state sites don't allow duplicate tabs. These sites will display "It appears you have duplicated a browser tab or window, or re-opened a closed tab. For security, this is not allowed. To continue working, close this window and return to the original, or click below to start over."
For help with setting up and scheduling your returns in AvaTax, see Returns Central.