You received a letter from the State of Illinois Department of Revenue titled Taxpayer Notification - "Electronic Payments Required", describing a new requirement as of October 1, 2017, that you will be required to make all payments electronically for Sales/Use Tax & E911 Surcharge returns. You want to know if Avalara already makes these payments electronically, and what you need to do to comply with the notice if anything.
- Avalara pays Illinois using ACH Credit on behalf of all taxpayers, and Illinois has all the information they need to accept those electronic payments.
- No action is required for Returns customers who have Avalara file their Illinois returns.
- This letter notifies you that the state now requires electronic submission of your tax payments, which we already do, so there is nothing needed.
- You do not need to submit form EFT-1 to the state. (The notifications have been accompanied by form EFT-1 Authorization Agreement for Certain Electronic Payments.)
- You do not need to send it to Avalara, no action is required.