You are trying to expire a certificate in CertCapture so that the exemption will be expire in the Admin Console, in the History tab of the certificate there is an error:
- To update the certificate to the Admin Console, use an end / expiration date that is on or after the date of the last applied transaction (the date in the error) or make it invalid to use an earlier date.
- To update the certificate to a Revoked status, so it will not apply to any additional sales:
- Click Validation > click Edit Certificate Validation > select Invalid Reason (from dropdown) > click Update Certificate Validation
- The certificate will show as revoked in the Avalara AvaTax admin console and a successful update on the History tab of the certificate in Avalara CertCapture
- To make it valid again:
- Make any changes to the certificate, such as change in date, exempt reason, or customer information as needed
- Click Validation > click Edit Certificate Validation > remove any/all Invalid Reason > click Update Certificate Validation
- Another certificate record will be added to the Avalara AvaTax admin console with the new information and a successful update will show on the History tab of the certificate in Avalara CertCapture
Note: Most often this error occurs because the certificate was applied to a sale which was not intended, so backdating the expiration is being used as a way to block the exemption. Once the sale has been processed this is not possible, you must make the certificate invalid to make changes.