Skip to main content
Avalara Help Center

Why am I not getting results from a successful REST web service call to AvaTax?

Overview

I sent a REST request to https://development.avalara.net/1.0/tax/get  using a POST method and the request body {"DocDate":"2014-10-21","CustomerCode":"mycompany","Addresses":[{"AddressCode":"1","Line1":"100 Ravine Lane","PostalCode":"98010"}],"Lines":[{"LineNo":"1","DestinationCode":"1","OriginCode":"1","Qty":1,"Amount":100.0}]}  but I did not get any results. I recieved a status code of 200 (success) but no results. What am I doing wrong.

Environment

REST

Resolution

The problem occurred when Avalara disabled the credentials prompt from our web service. Previous to the upgrade, users were able to pass their rest requests via a browser and were prompted for their credentials - which would return the results.  

What is required to succeed with a request to Avalara's RESTful web service, which is a Secure HTTP communication channel (or HTTPS) you must add a security header in the form  "Basic[account number]:[license key]" encoded to Base64, as per basic access authentication.

For more information about this requirement, see: http://developer.avalara.com/api-docs/api-reference/rest-curl/gettax

Cause

The REST request was passed to the Avalara web service without the required security header.