I need to copy a city record to a new county record and link it to a zip code in SalesTaxII.
Note: This should only be done after talking with Avalara Support, as making modifications to your rates and files can have unintended consequences.
- Go to the Maintenance Menu of SalesTaxII (MAINT)
- Select option 1, Rate Maintenance (TMAINT)
- Enter the original record, utilizing the state, county, and city codes (format: AA A001 A001), and press ENTER
- Press ENTER again to Copy the record.
- Enter the new record in the same format as the old, only with the new county code, and press ENTER
- At the record screen, change the description to the city name and press ENTER to save the record
NOTE:At this point, you should have two records for your selected state/city combination. Verify this with a rate inquiry before continuing.
- Back in the Maintenance Menu, select option 3, XREF Maintenance (ZMAINT)
- Enter the 5 digit start and end of the zip code range.
- Enter new state, county, city codes for your new record and press ENTER
- Press ENTER again to process - This links the 5-digit zip to the city in the new county.
After you've done this, it is imperative that you always pass the 9-digit zip to SalesTaxII, so that the system can identify which city/county record you are looking for.