I would like to know how AvaTax breaks out Canadian tax calculation.
- Overview of Canadian tax types
- GST - "Goods and Services Tax". Federal(state) level. Applied to TPP and Intangible Personal Property
- HST - "Harmonized Sales Tax". Federal(state) level. Imposed in Provinces that have "harmonized" their Provincial Sales Tax (PST) with the GST
- TPS - "Taxe sure let Produits en Services". GST in French speaking Canada
- QST/TVQ - "Quebec Sales Tax"/"Taxe du Vente du Quebec". Quebec's individually managed Provincial Sales Tax (PST)
- PST - "Provincial Sales Tax". Provincial level.
- If you have nexus only at the country level for Canada, you will always see either HST or GST and that alone.
- If you have province specific nexus and there is applicable tax at that level, you will see the rates of either GST or HST appropriate PST.
- In cases where the Province has chosen to collect HST separately from GST, you will see the CA State tax listed as GST/TPS and the Provincial tax listed as HST.
- These Provinces include Ontario, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Labrador, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island.
- You will see each rate calculated and how much tax that was on each line in the reports, as well as the transaction overview.
- Below are example Canadian calculations: