If you have a tax write off or tax credit that for some reason you cannot process through a credit memo in your account system, it is possible to create a tax only credit in the admin console.
IMPORTANT NOTE: As this method requires a tax amount override, customers who are participating in the Streamlined Sales Tax (SST) initiative are not able to use this method to perform a tax credit.
- Login to the admin-console and go to the Transactions tab.
- Click on the "New" button on the upper left. An empty transaction will appear, with a Document and Lines tab.
- In the Document Tab: Fill out origin and destination addresses by clicking the blue hyperlinks for each address (located in top third of the page). Fields with an * are required. These include doc code, customer vendor code, and document date.
- On the lines tab, click "Add new line". Line No, Quantity, and Amount, are the only required fields. For Quantity, enter an value of 1. For Amount enter '0'.
- Drop to the Tax Override Type Dropdown button, and select TaxAmount as the Override Type.
- In the TaxAmount field enter the amount of tax you are crediting IN A NEGATIVE amount. ex. if you are crediting back $10 in tax, enter -10 in the field.
- Enter a short description of the reason behind your credit in the Tax Override Reason text box.
- Click on the Add button at the bottom to add the line to your invoice.
- Click calculate tax on the left hand side of the page. The negative amount you entered in the line will appear as the tax.
- Click on Save as Committed in order to reduce your tax liabiity.