Skip to main content
Avalara Help Center

What happens if I add a transaction for a return you already filed?


You have added a transaction for a previous period and want to know what needs to be done to get it into the return.


Avalara AvaTax
Avalara Returns


  • You have two options:
    • Change the document date on the transaction to the current period and have Avalara include it on the current return OR
    • We can file an amended return if one has already been filed or a back-filed return if no return was filed
      • Contact your account manager to discuss a back-filing project
      • Analyze transactions and reports in the Admin Console to confirm all needed transactions are in your account prior to making the request.
      • We are only able to file with the data that is in our service, so Admin Console transactions need to be correct and complete prior to our filing a return for a previous period

Note: You can see transactions added/adjusted for previous periods on the Backdated Transaction alert on the Home tab.