AvaTax address validation is a feature that verifies, corrects, and formats addresses according to the USPS database. At this time, AvaTax only validates addresses in the United States and Canada. Validating addresses may incur additional usage fees.
Here are some of the most common addresses AvaTax validates:
- Your company's address - When you validate your company's address, you ensure that the origin address used on most invoices is accurate for tax calculation
- Your customers' addresses - When you validate your customers' addresses, you ensure that the ship-to address used on invoices is accurate for tax calculation
- Your vendors' addresses - When you validate your vendors' addresses, you ensure that:
- Addresses used in consumer use transactions are accurate for tax calculation
- AvaTax verifies VAT calculation is correct for the address you provide (where applicable)
Depending on your business application, there are other types of addresses that AvaTax validates. We recommend validating all addresses for accurate tax calculation.
Validate addresses in several different ways:
- Validate many addresses at once - Most business application that integrates with AvaTax includes a utility that allows you to validate many or all of your addresses at once. We recommended this method for validating addresses.
- Validate a single address - If you only have a few addresses to validate, or if you're adding a new address and have already validated the others in your system, use your business application to validate the address or validate the address in AvaTax.
- Validate addresses during tax calculation - Validate addresses on every transaction sent to AvaTax. This is generally a setting in your business application. Avalara doesn't recommend validating during tax calculation because this could increase your usage fees significantly.
Before you start validating addresses, go to Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 > AvaTax > Setup > AvaTax Setup Assistant > Enable Address Validation for USA and Canada and ensure that:
- Disable Address Validation option isn't selected
- United States of America is selected as Mapped country code
Validate an address
To validate an address on a customer card, determine the customer that you want to update and perform the following updates:
- Open Customer Card Accounts Receivables > Common Forms > Customers > Choose Customer > Address section.
- Locate the address you want to validate, click Add or Edit to add/edit an address.
- In the Add or Edit Address window, click Address Validation.
- The Address Validation dialog opens with the input address. To validate the input address, click Validate the address. To accept the new address and write it back to the database or update the address, click Accept the Address. If the address does not validate, an error message opens, describing why it failed validation.
- Click Close.
Validate a batch of addresses
To validate many addresses at a time with the Batch Address Validation utility, follow these steps:
- Go to AvaTax > Utilities > Batch Address Validation.
- In the Batch Address Validation window, select the criteria and it's range of addresses based on the following criteria:
- Click Ok.
- In the Batch Address Validation window, select Mark All to select multiple addresses at a time.
- Click Batch.
- In the Batch Address Validation window, the table shows the status of the addresses that were validated.
- Click Close.