This article applies to:Avalara AvaTax for QuickBooks Online
AvaTax for QuickBooks Online works with the suggested default settings, but you can adjust them to meet your company's business needs.
- In QuickBooks Online, select Apps.
- Select the My Apps tab.
- Next to the Avalara AvaTax app, select Action > Launch.
The AvaTax for QuickBooks Online app opens in a new tab.
- Make changes to any of the following:
- Calculation Active: Uncheck this box to stop AvaTax calculating tax.
- AvaTax Connector Settings:
- Account ID: Your AvaTax account number
- Avalara Company: The company you linked to AvaTax
- Avalara Username and Password: The username and password you use to log in to AvaTax
- Address Validation: If you disable address validation, AvaTax uses the customer's ship-to address as entered to calculate the correct sales tax. Sales tax might be calculated incorrectly if this option is disabled.
- Calculate tax for
- All Customers: If selected, QuickBooks Online sends all transactions to AvaTax for tax calculation, and then AvaTax exempts customers marked exempt.
- Only Taxable Customers: If selected, QuickBooks Online only sends transactions for taxable customers. No exempt customer transactions are sent to AvaTax.
- Sales Tax Item: A tax item created by AvaTax to mark customers as taxable. This can be left at default unless someone at Avalara tells you to change it.
- Manage where you collect tax: AvaTax uses certain criteria to suggest places you may need to collect tax. Review the regions where you're automatically set up to collect tax, and add regions based on your company's needs.
- Disconnect Avalara AvaTax: Disconnect your QuickBooks Online service from your AvaTax account.