Set up Avalara AvaTax to confirm whether addresses of your company’s customers and vendors are valid. Use either of the following procedures.
Validate address outside of tax calculation events
Use Address Validation Settings to set up AvaTax for confirming address validity outside of tax calculation events.
- In the left pane on your AvaTax screen, expand Settings and click Address Validation.
- To apply automatic validation of addresses, turn the Auto validate addresses toggle button on.
This setting enables AvaTax to automatically confirm the address validity when a customer or a vendor is added or edited.
- To select the address types for automatic validation, under Address types to auto validate, turn the toggle buttons on next to them. The available options are:
- Inventory Site
- Under Validate address formatting, select the text case for validated addresses.
Validated addresses use all capital letters. This setting helps you distinguish validated addresses from non-validated addresses; hence, recommended.
Validated addresses use standard capitalization; hence, cannot be distinguished from non-validated addresses by appearance.
- To enable AvaTax for determining tax jurisdiction with the help of GPS coordinates of the ship-to addresses, turn the Use latitude and longitude for addresses button on.
Validate address before tax calculation
Use Tax Calculation Settings to set up AvaTax for confirming address validity before tax calculation.
- In the left pane on your AvaTax screen, expand Settings and click Tax Calculation.
- Scroll the Tax Calculation page down to reach Validate addresses before calculating tax.
- To enable AvaTax to confirm before tax calculation whether the customer/vendor address is valid, turn the toggle button on.
This option helps AvaTax determining the most accurate tax jurisdiction and tax rate for transactions; hence, recommended.
Address validation adds to AvaTax usage. Therefore, it can increase your AvaTax bill.
- To enable AvaTax to calculate tax on transactions without confirming whether the customer/vendor address is valid, turn the toggle button off.
This option may prohibit AvaTax from determining the most accurate tax jurisdiction and tax rate for transactions.