Before you begin
Make sure that you have:
- Installed the Avalara for QuickBooks Desktop app.
- Your AvaTax username and password with you.
- Created a company profile on Avalara AvaTax.
Connect QuickBooks Desktop to Avalara AvaTax
- Right-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon and select Run as Administrator.
When QuickBooks Desktop starts, make sure it's running in single-user mode.
- Open the company you want to connect to the company profile you created on AvaTax.
The QuickBooks Desktop - Application Certificate screen is diplayed.
- Under Do you want to allow this application to read and modify this company file?, select one of the following options:
No: If you do not want to provide AvaTax with the read-and-modify access to the QuickBooks company file.
Yes, prompt each time: If you want to provide AvaTax with the read-and-modify access to the QuickBooks company file. You also want that the application certificate prompts the message each time.
Yes, whenever this QuickBooks company file is open: If you want to provide AvaTax with the read-and-modify access to the QuickBooks company file when the file is open.
Yes, always; allow access even if QuickBooks is not running: If you want to provide AvaTax with the read-and-modify access to the QuickBooks company file even when the file is not running.
None of these options allows access to personal data.
- To allow access to personal data, on the QuickBooks - Application Certificate screen, select Allow this application to access personal data such as social Security Numbers and customer credit card information.
- Select Continue, and then select Done.
The AvaTax connector setup wizard is displayed.
Follow the prompts to connect to AvaTax.
Enter your AvaTax username, password and then select Next.
(Optional: For an extra level of security, select Advanced Options. Enter your AvaTax account number and license key.)
Choose the company profile you want to associate with your company in QuickBooks Desktop and select Next.
If you have only one company, it's automatically selected. (No action is required.)
Assign AvaTax tax items to your customers.
To assign the AvaTax tax items to all of your customers, select Next.
To use a tax item you previously assigned to your customers in QuickBooks Desktop, deselect the assignment you want to retain.
When you assign the AvaTax tax item to customers, QuickBooks Desktop sends their transactions to AvaTax for tax calculation.
AvaTax creates a backup of your tax item assignments. You can always go back to your previous assignments using the Restore tax items utility.
QuickBooks Desktop is now connected to AvaTax and is ready to send transactions for tax calculation.