Here are some common error messages you may see when using QuickBooks Desktop and some ways to resolve those errors.
Before you begin
- Make sure you're using the most recent version of AvaTax for QuickBooks Desktop.
- Verify only one version of AvaTax for QuickBooks Desktop is installed on each workstation.
- Make sure users have the minimum QuickBooks Desktop permissions to use AvaTax.
Update the AvaTax integration for QuickBooks Desktop
Most often you can fix these errors by installing the latest version of the AvaTax for QuickBooks Desktop on all workstations and the server (if applicable).
- ATS-291: Object variable or with block variable not set
- ATS -291: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
- ATS-291: QuickBooks found an error when parsing the provided XML text stream
- ATS-291: A QuickBooks company data file is already open and it is different from the one requested or there are multiple company files open
- ATS-291: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
- CB-241: Cannot access a disposed object. Object name: "FormSmallNotice".
- CB-296: Index was outside the bounds of the array (incomplete installation)
- RCL-281: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
- Status Code 3340: This request cannot be processed from within a data event callback procedure
Restart QuickBooks Desktop and AvaTax processes
Most often you can fix these errors by shutting down QuickBooks Desktop and stopping any QuickBooks Desktop or AvaTax-related processes in Windows Task Manager.
When you restart QuickBooks Desktop, the error should be resolved.
- CB-211: Multiple instances of the AvaTax integration for QuickBooks Desktop are running simultaneously
- CB-211: Error has occurred. The RPC server is unavailable.
- CB-211: Could not find part of the path
- CB-221: Multiple messages
- CB-231: You cannot make multiple successive calls to the open connection method. Call CloseConnection before calling OpenConnection again.
- CB-301: Lost QuickBooks Desktop connection to AvaTax
- CB-331: The BeginSession method has not been called or it did not succeed
- CB-331: Ticket parameter is invalid
- CB-831: Multiple instances of the AvaTax integration for QuickBooks Desktop are running simultaneously
- CB-1281: Could not read data from QuickBooks
- Subscribe.exe - No Disk: Could not start QuickBooks Desktop because multiple instances of the AvaTax integration for QuickBooks Desktop are running simultaneously
Miscellaneous error messages and solutions
|CB-211||Access to path denied||Permissions issue in QuickBooks Desktop||Give your user Full Control access to the Avalara folders and subfolders found in your Program Files folder.|
|CB-281||Access to path quickbooks/data/avalara/.../license.ini denied||Permissions issue in QuickBooks Desktop||Give your user Full Control access to the Avalara folders and subfolders found in your Program Files folder.|
|Status Code 3175||There was an error adding, modifying, or deleting XXXXX||Two save events happened at the same time when emailing or printing an invoice before saving with AvaTax||You can't print or email an invoice before saving to QuickBooks Desktop. Save with tax before emailing or printing the invoice.|
|Subscribe.exe - No Disk||There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive/Device.Harddisk1/DR1||Permissions issue in QuickBooks Desktop||During the installation process, make sure you run as an administrator.|
|Application with Expired Ceritificate||Third party integration requires re-authentication||Select Yes, whenever this QuickBooks Company File is open to authorize the certificate automatically.|
|Could not query QuickBooks||Permissions issue in QuickBooks Desktop||Ensure users have the minimum QuickBooks Desktop permissions to use AvaTax.|
|Error accessing QuickBooks data||QuickBooks Desktop isn't connected to AvaTax||Ensure the user name, password, and license key are entered correctly in AvaTax Configuration in QuickBooks Desktop.|
|Error while subscribing to QuickBooks events. Function Name = DoSubscribeEvents 80040423. The version of QBXML that was requested is not supported or is unknown. Please login using Administrator Privileges and try again.||There is either a permissions issue in QuickBooks Desktop or a corrupted installation||Ensure users have the minimum QuickBooks Desktop permissions to use AvaTax. If that doesn't resolve the issue, reinstall AvaTax for QuickBooks Desktop.|
|Root element is missing||Multiple instances of AvaTax for QuickBooks Desktop are running simultaneously||Shut down all running instances of QuickBooks Desktop from Task Manager and delete the company's error list file before restarting QuickBooks Desktop.|
|The wizard was interrupted before Avalara AvaTax for QuickBooks could be completely installed||Permission issue when installing without administrator access||Reboot QuickBooks Desktop begin and start the installation process from the beginning.|
|Unexpected end of file has occurred. The following elements are not closed:||Error list file could not be resolved||