Some products—such as clothing, food, software, medical supplies, software subscriptions, and freight—are taxed differently depending on where they're sold. To get the most accurate rate for these items, map them to Avalara tax codes. If you don't map items to Avalara tax codes, all products and services are taxed at the standard rate for each jurisdiction.
Before you begin
Review the guidelines for mapping items to Avalara tax codes if you aren't sure whether to map items in QuickBooks Desktop or AvaTax.
- In QuickBooks Desktop, go to File > AvaTax > Preferences.
- Select Taxability > Tax Codes and complete the following:
- Select All from the Item Type list.
- Select the item you want to map from the Item Name list.
- Enter the Avalara tax code in the Tax Code field.
- Select Add and then select OK.
You can also map shipping items to tax codes. For more information, see map a shipping term to a tax code in QuickBooks Desktop.