Avalara tax codes aren't just for refining the product taxability of the products and services you sell. You can also use them to adjust the tax calculation for a variety of shipping options.
Before you begin
Review the guidelines for mapping items to Avalara tax codes if you aren't sure whether to map items in QuickBooks Desktop or AvaTax.
- In QuickBooks Desktop, go to File > AvaTax > Preferences.
- Select Taxability > Shipping and complete the following:
- Select the appropriate term from the Shipping Terms list.
- Select the code you want to associate with that term from the Freight Tax Code list.
- Select Add.
- Repeat this process for as many shipping terms as necessary.