After you activate AvaTax and set up your company profile, install and configure AvaTax for NetSuite SuiteTax. Before you install and configure, make sure you already did the following in SuiteTax:
- Enable nexus
- Set up tax codes
- Set up tax types (for example, sales tax, VAT, etc.)
- Ensure you have tax registrations set up in your subsidiaries
Install the AvaTax bundle for NetSuite SuiteTax
- Log in to SuiteTax, and go to Customization > Suitebundler > Search & Install Bundles.
- On the Search & Install Bundle menu, in the Keywords field, type "AvaTax for SuiteTax," and then click Search.
- Choose AvaTax for SuiteTax.
- On the Bundle Details age, click Install. The Preview Bundle Install page shows items to be added by the AvaTax bundle.
- In the Preference dialog box, find potential conflicts with elements or add-ons.
- Select appropriate actions from the drop-down menus to resolve conflicts.
- Click Install Bundle.
- To watch the progress of the installation, go to Customization > Suitebundler > Search & Install Bundles > List.
Validate your AvaTax account in NetSuite SuiteTax and set up the Avalara plug-in
- Validate your AvaTax account.
- In NetSuite SuiteTax, go to Avalara > Setup > Configure Avalara.
- On the Setup Assistant page, fill in the following, and then click Validate:
- Account Number
- License Key
View your account number in AvaTax. Select Settings > All AvaTax settings. The account number is listed at the top of the page as your Account ID. If you don't know your license key, get a new one. Service URL Select the type of account you're connecting to in AvaTax.
- Click Next to enter the configuration menu. Return here an make changes any time there's a business need.
Assign subsidiaries in NetSuite SuiteTax to companies in AvaTax.
- Go to Avalara > Setup > Configure Avalara, and then select the tax calculation tab.
- Select a company you created in AvaTax to associate with each subsidiary. These must be distinct companies in AvaTax.
- Enable the Avalara plug-in.
Give Avalara permission to use AvaTax to calculate tax in your NetSuite SuiteTax system.
- Go to Customization > Plug-ins > Manage Plug-ins.
- Check the Avalara Plugin to enable tax calculation.
- Associate the Avalara plugin with subsidiaries.
Ensure each subsidiary you set up in SuiteTax uses AvaTax to calculate tax.
- Go to Setup > Company > Subsidiaries.
- For each subsidiary, click Edit, go to Tax Registrations tab, and under tax engine, select Avalara Plugin. Do this for tax registrations for each subsidiary.
- Associate tax codes with nexus.
Make sure SuiteTax knows which tax type to associate with transactions.
- Go to Setup > Tax > Nexuses.
- For each place your company has nexus, click Edit.
- Click Avalara Default Tax Codes on the nexus page.
- Select the desired Default Tax Code.
NetSuite scripts installed with the AvaTax bundle
Customize these scripts based on your NetSuite implementation. Visit NetSuite to learn more about bundles and script types.
|Script name||Script functionality||NetSuite records used on|
|AVA_TransactionTab_1||Tax calculation||Cash Refund, Cash Sale, Credit Memo, Invoice|
|AVA_TransactionTab_2||Tax calculation||Sales Order, Quote, Return Authorization|
|AVA_PurchaseTransactionTab||Use tax and VAT functionality||Vendor Bill, Vendor Credit|
|AVA_Customer||Maps entity use code and exemption certificate number||Customer, Lead, Prospect|
|AVA_Customer_Address||Address validation||Customer, Lead, Prospect, Vendor|
|AVA_Customer_Certs||CertCapture functionality||Customer, Lead, Prospect, Partner|
|AVA_ExpenseCategories||Maps Avalara tax codes to Expense Category||Expense Category|
|AVA_InventoryTab_1||Maps Avalara tax codes and a user-defined reference to items||Assembly/Bill of Materials, Download Item, Inventory Part, Kit Item, Non-Inventory Part, Other Charge Item, Service|
|AVA_InventoryTab_2||Maps Avalara tax codes and a user-defined reference to items||Gift Certificate Item, Item Group, Lot Numbered Assembly/Bill of Materials, Lot Numbered Inventory Item, Serialized Assembly/Bill of Materials, Serialized Inventory Item|
|AVA_Location||Hides custom field||Location|
|AVA_Subsidiary||Stores subsidiary information in custom records used in AvaTax configuration||Subsidiary|
|Script name||Script functionality||NetSuite records used on|
|AVA_Transaction_Client||Tax calculation||Cash Refund, Cash Sale, Credit Memo, Invoice, Sales Order, Quote, Return Authorization|
|AVA_Purchase_Client||Use tax and VAT functionality||Vendor Bill, Vendor Credit|
|AVA_AddressValidationResult_Client||Batch address validation||NA|
|AVA_AddressValidation_Client||Batch address validation||NA|
|AVA_DeleteBatch_Client||Batch reconcile utility||NA|
|AVA_EntityMap_Client||Entity use code creation||NA|
|AVA_Entity_Client||Client side address validation and CertCapture functionality||Customer, Lead, Prospect, Vendor, Partner|
|AVA_GeneralScript_Client||Client side validation||NA|
|AVA_GetCertificates_Client||Client side validation||NA|
|AVA_Inventory_Client||Stores Avalara tax codes in custom fields||Inventory Part, Lot Numbered Inventory Item, Non-Inventory Part, Other Charge Item, Serialized Inventory Item, Service|
|AVA_RecalculateUtility_Client||Batch reconcile utility||NA|
|AVA_ReconcileList||Batch reconcile utility||NA|
|AVA_ReconcileResult_Client||Batch reconcile utility||NA|
|AVA_Shipping_Client||Shipping code creation||NA|
|AVA_TransactionList_Client||Shows committed and voided transaction list||NA|
|Script name||Script functionality||NetSuite records used|
|AVA_AddressValidate_Sched||Batch address validation||Subsidiary, Customer, Location|
|AVA_DeleteAddressValidationBatches_Sched||Deletes batch address validation||NA|
|AVA_DeleteLogsOfDeletedTransactions||Delete logs from custom records||NA|
|AVA_DeleteReconcileBatches_Sched||Delete Reconcile batches||NA|
|AVA_RecalculateTaxes_Sched||Tax calculation||Cash Refund, Cash Sale, Credit Memo, Invoice,Sales Order, Quote, Return Authorization|
|AVA_ReconcileTax_Scheduled||Batch reconcile utility||Cash Refund, Cash Sale, Credit Memo, Invoice|
|AVA_SubsidiaryCreation_Sched||Stores subsidiary information in custom records used in AvaTax configuration. Used in NetSuite OneWorld, not in NetSuite.||Subsidiary|
|AVA_UpdateValidatedAddress_Sched||Updates validated addresses||Subsidiary, Customer, Location|
|AVA_TransactionLogTransform_Sched||Deletes user notes||Note|
All the Suitelets installed through the AvaTax bundle are used for creating customized Avalara pages (in the Avalara menu) in NetSuite.
Fine-tune your AvaTax for NetSuite SuiteTax settings
The default settings for AvaTax for NetSuite SuiteTax meet many customers' needs. But don't let us stop you digging into things. If your business needs to fine-tune how AvaTax and SuiteTax work together, change these settings any time you'd like.