Change Settings in AvaTax for NetSuite SuiteTax
- Last updated
Save as PDF
There's a lot you can do with AvaTax for NetSuite SuiteTax. Dig into the settings to fine-tune the way AvaTax and NetSuite SuiteTax work together.
In NetSuite SuiteTax, go to Avalara > Setup > Configure Avalara to make changes to your settings.
||Field and description
- Enable Tax Code Mapping: Select to enable mapping items to Avalara tax codes to account for varying taxability of products and services. Item tax code mapping takes precedence over item tax class mapping.
- Optional: User Defined 1 and 2: Select to display the UDF1 and UDF2 fields on the item line in transactions. The fields are automatically populated with information you entered in the User Defined 1 and User Defined 2 fields on an item page. Edit the UDF1 and UDF2 fields on a transaction to override the information automatically displayed in them without changing the information on the item page.
- Optional: Send Item Account to Avalara: Select to send general ledger account information for an item to AvaTax.
- Customer Code: Selected value is sent to AvaTax and appears as the customer code on transactions. Most customers select Customer Internal ID.
- Optional: Enable Entity/Use Code: Enable to map entity/use codes for your customer addresses to flag them as exempt from sales tax.
- Default Shipping Code: The default shipping code when you enter a shipping charge on a sales document. Ignore this field if your company doesn't ship a physical product.
- Show Warnings/Errors: Determines what displays on error logs.
- Optional: Billable Time Name: If you select Billable Time, AvaTax displays the phrase "Billable Time" in the item code field instead of the item name.
- Optional: Extensive Logging: Select to automatically log AvaTax activities and save the details in a local log file.
|Field and description
- Optional: Disable Tax Calculation: If you choose to disable tax calculation, your accounting software no longer uses AvaTax to calculate tax on transactions.
- Optional: Disable Tax Calculation for Quotes: If you choose to disable tax calculation for quotes, NetSuite SuiteTax no longer uses AvaTax to calculate tax on quotes.
- Optional: Disable Tax Calculation for Sales Order: If you choose to disable tax calculation for sales orders, NetSuite SuiteTax no longer uses AvaTax to calculate tax on sales orders.
- Optional: Disable Tax Calculation at line level: This setting affects only the frequency of tax calculations. If the Multiple Shipping Routes option is selected in NetSuite SuiteTax, AvaTax for NetSuite SuiteTax can calculate tax based on the location and ship-to address of each line, regardless of this setting.
- Enable Logging: Recommended. This feature allows the capture of detailed information about each transaction. If you enable logging, all success and error messages display in the log.
- Optional: Enable Discount Mechanism: Select to map discounts to an Avalara tax code. This is useful if you need to use non-taxable discounts, which don't affect the taxable amount of a line.
- Discount Mapping: Select whether you want to discount the gross or net amount when you use the Enable Discount mechanism.
- Discount Tax Code: Select to be able to select a tax code for discounts--in most cases, NT for non-taxable.
- Tax Rate:
- Select Show Base Rate to show a tax rate that includes all the jurisdictions for the transaction, whether or not that tax was applied to the transaction.
- Select Show Net Rate to show the tax rate applied to the transaction.
- Optional: Round-Off Tax Percentage (Decimal Places): Select to control the number of decimal places that display in a calculated tax rate. By default, 2 places display.
- Optional: Disable Location Code:
- If this is disabled, the subsidiary address on this tab is sent as the the origin address for transactions.
- If this option is selected, the location code for a transaction is sent based on where the location code is added:
- Only at the header level - The location name is sent as the location code for the transaction.
- Only at the line level - The location name of the 1st line is sent as the location code for the transaction.
- At both the header level and the line level - The location name of the 1st line is sent as the location code for the transaction.
- Optional: Enable UPC Code as Item Code:
- If you have purchased this feature, select this option to send a UPC instead of an item code to AvaTax.
- If you haven't purchased the feature, selecting this option has no effect. Contact you Account Manager to purchase it.
- Optional: Use Invoice Address for Tax Calculation on Returns: If this option is enabled, AvaTax uses the ship-to on the original invoice, instead of the ship-to on the credit memo, for tax calculations on returns.
- Abort Save Operation on Tax Calculation Errors: Not recommended. This option prevents transactions and other documents with calculation errors from being saved for the following operations:
- Bulk Billing
- User Interfaces
- CSV Imports
- Scheduled Scripts
- Workflow action scripts
|Field and description
- Optional: Disable address validation: If you disable address validation, AvaTax uses the customer's ship-to address as entered to calculate the correct sales tax. Sales tax might be calculated incorrectly if this option is disabled.
- Optional: Enable address validation on transaction(s): Select to create buttons for validating bill-to and ship-to addresses on transactions.
- Optional: Track previously validated addresses: If enabled, a checkbox on the customer card indicates when an address has previously been validated.
- Optional: Result in upper case: Select to save all address validation results in uppercase format.
- Batch processing:
- Automatic - Automatically accept address validation results when you process batches of transactions.
- Manual - Manually approve the address validation results.
This tab contains technical information about your connector/integration and your AvaTax account.