If you regularly sell to tax-exempt customers, you need to consistently exempt their purchases. If you don't already have a way to exempt customers, here are the options available to you through Avalara.
CertCapture is the most comprehensive solution for managing exemption certificates and other compliance documents. This product must be purchased separately. Contact your Account Manager for more information.
Use CertCapture with or without AvaTax to manage compliance documents:
- Store an unlimited number of your customers' exemption documents in one place
- Automatically exempt purchases from tax when appropriate
- Send mail or email campaigns to ask your customers for certificates, and then track their progress
Exemptions is included with AvaTax. Exempt purchases from tax by associating exemption information with customer records.
To activate Exemptions in AvaTax, select Exemptions and then select Get Set Up. For more information, see set up Exemptions.
Add an exemption number to a customer record
Enter an exemption number in the exemption number field on a customer account record. AvaTax recognizes the customer as exempt. However, it does not store customer exemption information.
To store customer exemption information, use CertCapture or Exemptions.
Add an entity use code to a customer, transaction, or item
When you use an entity use code in Salesforce Sales Cloud, AvaTax exempts transactions as long as the entity use code is valid for the jurisdiction where the transactions take place. However, it does not store customer exemption information.
For more information about available entity use codes, see the exempt reason matrix for the U.S. and Canada.
- Add an entity use code to a customer account record.
- Select a customer account record in Salesforce Sales Cloud.
- Select an entity use code on the account record.
- Add an entity use code to a transaction type.
- Go to Orders, Opportunities, or Quotes and open the object you want to make exempt.
- Add an entity use code to your selection.
The exemption applies only to that transaction.
- Add an entity use code to an item on a transaction.
- Go to Orders, Opportunities, or Quotes and open the object to which you want to add an exempted item.
- Select the item you want to add the exemption to and enter the entity use code.
The exemptions applies only to that item on that transaction.