After you install the integration software, use the setup wizard to connect QuickBooks Desktop to AvaTax.
Before you begin
- You must have QuickBooks Desktop administrator permissions to connect AvaTax to QuickBooks Desktop.
- Have this information on hand:
- Your AvaTax username and password.
- Your account number and license key to add an extra level of security to your connection.
Finding your account number and license key...
Avalara sends the account number and license key to the person who logs in to AvaTax and accepts the terms and conditions. If you can't find, check to see if it was sent to someone else at your company.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop and select Run as Administrator.
- Log in to QuickBooks Desktop as a QuickBooks Desktop administrator.
The QuickBooks Desktop - Application Certificate window opens.
- Select Yes, Whenever This QuickBooks Desktop Company File Is Open and select Continue.
The AvaTax connector setup wizard opens.
- Enter the username and password you used to log in to AvaTax in the Connect to AvaTax window.
For an extra level of security, select Advanced Options. Enter your AvaTax account number and license key.
If you can't find your license key, you can generate a new one.
- Select the company you want to connect to QuickBooks Desktop.
If you have only one company, we select it for you. By default, all items are assigned to AvaTax.
- Select Next to assign all of your customers to the AvaTax tax item. Or, clear a checkbox to use a tax item you previously assigned to your customers in QuickBooks Desktop.
When you assign the AvaTax tax item to customers, you're authorizing your business application to send those transactions to AvaTax for tax calculation.
AvaTax does not calculate tax on transactions for customers who are not assigned to the AvaTax tax item.
You can always go back to your old settings using the Rollback tax schedule utility.
QuickBooks Desktop is now connected to AvaTax and ready to send transactions for tax calculation. Depending on your business, you may want to further customize your settings. For a complete list, see settings for AvaTax for QuickBooks Desktop.