Some products—such as clothing, food, software, medical supplies, software subscriptions, and freight—are taxed differently depending on where they're sold. To get the most accurate rate for these items, map them to Avalara tax codes. If you don't map items to Avalara tax codes, all products and services are taxed at the standard rate for each jurisdiction.
Before you begin
- Review the guidelines for mapping items to Avalara tax codes if you aren't sure whether to map items in NetSuite or AvaTax.
- Before you map an item to an Avalara tax code, add the AvaTax Taxcode field to the list of NetSuite fields.
Use the mass updates feature in NetSuite to map similar groups of items instead of your entire list of items. To use this feature, follow these steps:
- In NetSuite, go to Lists > Mass Update > Mass Updates.
- On the Mass Updates page, click General Updates.
- Under Items, select the item type that you want to update.
- On the Mass Update page, under FILTER, select AvaTax Taxcode (Custom).
- In the Mass Update dialog box, under AVATAX TAXCODE, select your search parameters. In the text box next to it, type a value, and then click Set.
- Click Mass Update Fields, and in the Mass Update Fields pane next to AvaTax Taxcode, type a tax code.
- Click Preview to view the potential results of the mass update. If you're satisfied, click Perform Update. When the update is complete, verify the results for accuracy.