Some products—such as clothing, food, software, medical supplies, software subscriptions, and freight—are taxed differently depending on where they're sold. To get the most accurate rate for these items, map them to Avalara tax codes. If you don't map items or expenses to Avalara tax codes, all products and services are taxed at the standard rate for each jurisdiction.
Before you begin
- Review the guidelines for mapping items to Avalara tax codes if you aren't sure whether to map items or expenses in NetSuite or AvaTax.
- Before you map an item or expense to an Avalara tax code, add the AvaTax Taxcode field to the list of NetSuite fields.
- In NetSuite, go to Setup > Accounting > Expense Categories.
- Select Edit next to the expense category you want to map to an Avalara tax code.
The Expense Category page displays.
- Go to the AvaTax tab and enter an Avalara tax code.
- Select Save.
The expense is now mapped to the Avalara tax code you selected.