Some products—such as clothing, food, software, medical supplies, software subscriptions, and freight—are taxed differently depending on where they're sold. To get the most accurate rate for these items, map them to Avalara tax codes. If you don't map items to Avalara tax codes, all products and services are taxed at the standard rate for each jurisdiction.
Before you begin
- Review the guidelines for mapping items to Avalara tax codes if you aren't sure whether to map items in NetSuite or AvaTax.
- Before you map an item to an Avalara tax code, add the AvaTax Taxcode field to the list of NetSuite fields.
Follow these steps to map codes to items one at a time:
- In NetSuite, go to Lists > Accounting > Items.
- Select Edit next to the item you want to map to an Avalara tax code.
The record for the item opens.
- Select the AvaTax tab.
- Under Avalara Tax Code, enter the Avalara tax code you want to associate with the item.
- Select Save.