After you activate AvaTax and set up your company profile, install and configure AvaTax for your business application. During configuration, customize your setup to fit your unique business needs for things like:
- Tax calculation settings for various tax types
- Exemption settings if you have exempt customers
- Product taxability settings
Update these settings when your business needs change.
To use AvaTax for Microsoft Dynamics 365 Commerce:
- Install Microsoft Dynamics 365 Finance and Operations
- Deploy the Microsoft Dynamics 365 Commerce package (manually or using Lifecycle Services)
- Set up all location codes in AvaTax
Configure the retail module
- On the Modules menu, select Avalara AvaTax > Setup > Configuration Setting.
- On the Configuration page, select Retail.
- In the Setup options for Retail pane, select Tax Area Code.
- On the Sales tax group menu, select AVATAX. AvaTax sales tax calculation is enabled.
- To format the store data and create the required retail jobs, select Fetch tax rate and Item Tax code, and then do one of the following:
- To immediately start the process, select Initialize.
- To schedule jobs in recurring batches, set Batch processing to Yes.
- Select OK.
- Select Location to store mapping, assign location codes to their associated Store number, and then click Save.
- To store AvaTax rates in the database:
- Click Fetch Tax Rates
- To schedule jobs in recurring batches instead of immediately beginning processes, set Batch processing to Yes. We recommend you schedule a weekly job.
- Click OK, and then click Save.
Configure the offline database
To create AvaTax tables in the Retail Channel database:
- Run the SQL procedure AvaTax_Retail.sql for each channel and offline database.
- Go to Retail Channel Schema > AX 7 > Import in retail distribution schedule.
- Import AVA_RetailTableDistrubtion.xml and click Generate queries.
- Go to Distribution schedule > AVA-0001, and then click Run Now.
- Make sure the status of all jobs is Applied.
Configure offline MPOS
To save.dll files for AvaTax in the MPOS directory:
- Place the following libraries, found in the release package, in the retail server MPOS directory:
- Open CommerceRuntime.MPOSOffline.config, and place <add source="assembly" value="Avalara.AX7.Local.Extension" /> immediately after the <composition> node.
- Save the config file.
Reset all the data in the cache of IIS so AvaTax functions correctly.
To reset the data:
- Open the command prompt with elevated access.
- Type iisreset, and then press Enter.
Set up retail stores
Assign specific stores to use AvaTax.
- Go to Area Page > Your Company > Retail and Commerce.
- Click Retail stores and select All retail stores.
- For each store, click Edit, set the Sales tax group as AVATAX, and then click Save. AvaTax is now the default sales tax calculation method for that store.
Match store addresses to AvaTax location addresses
Each store address must match the location address in AvaTax to make sure AvaTax can exchange data with Microsoft Dynamics 365 Commerce for an accurate tax calculation based on this address.
- Go to Organization administration > Organizations > Operating Units.
- Make sure the primary address of each store matches the address for that store in AvaTax.
- Update the incorrect entry if addresses don't match:
- If the error is in the Microsoft Dynamics 365 Commerce address entry, update it on the open Microsoft Dynamics 365 Commerce screen.
- If the error is in the AvaTax address, edit the company in AvaTax to update the address.
Move data to channel and offline store databases
Run a script to move tax calculation data to channel and offline store databases. Once it completes, you're ready to use Connector for Microsoft Dynamics 365 Commerce.
- Go to Retail and Commerce > Retail IT > Distribution Schedule.
- Filter for AVA-001, click Run Now, and then, in response to the "Do you want to run job AVA-001?" message, click Yes. The script takes about 2-3 minutes to run.