Assign Avalara tax codes or custom tax codes to items your company sells.
Map tax codes to products and services
- In Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations, go to Avalara AvaTax > Setup > Utilities > Tax Code Mapping.
- On the Taxability code mapping page, select the document type you want to assign an Avalara tax codes to:
- Fee - Available in the project module only
- Hour - Available in the project module only
- Expense - Available in the project module only
- Project item - Available in the project module only
- Ledger account - The main account segment of your general ledger. Can be used for free text invoices and on-account project invoices.
- Item group
- Procurement category
- Sales category
- Item sales tax group
- Select the applicable Item/Category/Account.
- Type the Taxability Code, and then click Close. This code can be an Avalara tax code or a custom tax code.
Map an item to a universal product code (UPC)
You have the option to send a Universal Product Code (UPC) from Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations to AvaTax Update for managing product taxability. To use this option, UPCs need to be assigned to items you sell, and those UPCs need to be mapped to Avalara tax codes. If a UPC isn't assigned to an item, the model number is sent to AvaTax Update as the default item code.
Talk to your Customer Account Manager (CAM) if you want to use UPCs.
To send a UPC to AvaTax Update:
- Make sure Use UPC as Item Code is enabled in AvaTax Update for Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations configuration.
- In Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations, enter the UPC you want to use for a product or service in the GTIN field on the item record.