You're ready to file once you: 1) import data into TrustFile for Accountants; 2) inform TrustFile for Accountants when and which forms to file, and which states they should be filed in; 3) reconcile transaction data.
How TrustFile for Accountants manages compliance
Before you file, keep the following in mind:
- Avalara files any state form for you. We do this electronically for some states, and in others we manually prepare and file your return on your behalf. Click File and TrustFile for Accountants prompts you to provide any missing information to complete the filing process.
- TrustFile for Accountants doesn't yet support filing separate local returns, but we do highlight the amount of local tax owed different jurisdictions on our Liability Report. (In most states, taxes owed by local jurisdictions are collected by the states and are included in the state return.) States that require local sales tax returns to be filed independently of the state return include Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, and Louisiana. At this time, you'll need to file local returns manually.
TrustFile for Accountants eFiling and printable returns aren't functional for all states. If you need help registering to file sales tax with state governments, Avalara partners with Peisner-Johnson to help business owners who want to collect tax in the states where they have . Peisner-Johnson can also help with filing late and other tax-related special needs.
Prepare and file a return
Once you've reconciled transaction data, you're ready to file. Follow these steps to file returns. Make changes to your filing preferences for each company through the widgets on each company dashboard. There are several ways to begin the filing process. We'll give you the shortest route.
- On the Companies page, choose a company for which you'd like to file a return and click the company name.
- On the Company Dashboard, scroll down to the state for which you'd like to file a return. If you didn't do so after importing or syncing data to TrustFile for Accountants, set the form you file for each state.
- Once the form's verified, the state widget moves up in the queue. Locate the state you'd like to file your returns in, click Add registration info, and provide the requested information. If you've not yet provided remittance information, click Add remittance account.
- The File button for the state turns blue when the return is ready to be filed. Click File, and then click File & Remit in the verification window.
If TrustFile for Accountants doesn't offer eFiling for the state, you're prompted to provide your login credentials for the state so we can file on your behalf. Remember, if you're not seeing the data you expect, or if any of the numbers appear to be wrong, reconcile the data and troubleshoot discrepancies.
Check the status of returns
- On the Companies page, click Reports to see a list of returns.
- Select one of the following reports:
- Generated returns: Check the status of all generated returns (whether they are accruing, due, or past due)
- Credit usage: Find details of your credit purchase history and usage
- Activity Log: View a history of activity in your account by date, user, company, and more