You know what your sales totals are, but you're not certain how much tax you should have collected. You want to know if you can use TrustFile to calculate sales tax.
No, TrustFile does not do sales tax calculation.
- TrustFile is a reporting tool. It uses data from your shopping cart, web store, ERP system, uploads (imports), or transactions you manually enter to prepare state-level sales tax returns.
- TrustFile uses the amounts that you have determined; it doesn't calculate tax if none was included.
- TrustFile assumes you've collected tax in the states where you are registered to collect sales tax, and that you have collected the correct amount of tax.
- If your transactions don’t itemize sales tax for each transaction where it was collected—for example, if your sale price includes sales tax—you’ll have to calculate the tax manually and deduct it from the total sale amount.
- TrustFile will not recalculate tax either. Whatever tax you have or have not collected is what TrustFile reflects on the returns.
If you are in need of sales tax calculation you will need to speak with your account manager or an Avalara sales representative about AvaTax, our tax calculation software.
Internal Notes Section: