If you're using Returns, we recommend that you send tax notices to our compliance team so that we can guide you toward next steps or review the notice in more detail. We try to get back to you as soon as possible, depending on the urgency of the notice. However, it can take up to 4-6 weeks to hear back from us, and up to to 6-8 weeks to fully resolve an issue.
|The busiest time of each month is from the tenth to the twentieth, when our compliance team is filing returns. It's helpful if you can submit your notice before or after this timeframe.|
Before you begin
- You must have account-level permissions to submit a tax notice. Contact your account administrator if you need help.
- Before you send the notice to us, save it as a PDF or an image file.
- In AvaTax, go to Returns > Tax Notices and then select Submit a Notice.
- If your account has more than one company, select the applicable company.
- Select the type of tax notice.
- For a credit notice, select a region and then enter the credit amount.
- For a discrepancy notice, select a region, the tax return name, and the filing period. Next, enter the liability information: tax due, penalty, and interest.
To discuss a notice with a jurisdiction on your behalf, our compliance team needs a power of attorney. This power of attorney is different from the funding power of attorney you authorized when you first set up Returns.
If you don't have a power of attorney on file for a jurisdiction, we send one to you after your submit the tax notice to us.
- For a filing change notice, update your filing frequency.
- For a rate change notice, send the notice to us. We send these notices to our content team who ensures rates are current. Most rate changes are updated automatically. You don't have to follow up with us or open a support case after submitting a rate change. To view the latest updates, see AvaTax maintenance updates.
- For a reminder to file, make sure that your filing frequency matches the filing information in the notice. For example, you may need to change the filing frequency from quarterly to monthly.
- If we ask you to send the notice to us, attach and upload a copy of the notice as a PDF or an image file, and then select Submit.
- Come back to this page to check the notice status and to find out if there's anything you need to do to help resolve the issue.