When you add a location to collect and calculate tax to AvaTax Update you also need to schedule your returns for that new location in Returns. Update where you file returns when your business grows and changes to keep your business compliant.
Before you begin
Make sure you're registered and filing everywhere you collect taxes.
Collecting tax without being registered can lead to serious legal consequences. And, being registered but not collecting or filing can lead to late fees, interest, or penalties. If you need help with either of these scenarios, talk to your tax professional and contact us to see how we can help.
- Go to Returns > Manage and Approve Returns.
- Check for locations where you're collecting taxes but not filing. These locations are marked with a yellow highlight.
- Click Manage Returns next to the location you want to schedule.
- Find the form or forms you need to file. For each one, click Schedule This Return.
If you don't know which ones to choose:
- Review your past returns and any documents you've received from regional tax authorities.
- Visit Returns Central, which breaks down forms and filing requirements for every state.
- Fill out each form that you selected for the new location.
- Click Save Filing Settings.
The Avalara Managed Services team will review the forms for accuracy and completeness. You can make changes to the forms at any time during the review process. After we finish our review, you'll need to reconcile and file your returns.