After our compliance team reviews your scheduled returns, you're nearly ready to file. First, though, you should review the calculations, reconcile your returns with your business application and AvaTax, and check for any deductions or prepayments.
Before you begin
- In AvaTax, go to Returns > Manage and Approve Returns. Choose the state whose returns you want to review and then select Manage Returns.
Details about your returns—including forms, filing frequencies, monthly sales activity, and tax amounts—are displayed.
Review this information. To see more details, including a comparison of tax remitted to Avalara and tax remitted to the jurisdiction, select Tax Details and Adjustments.
Looking for quarterly, semiannual, or annual returns? Select Returns Accruing for a Future Filing Period to see these longer-term returns during months when you don't file them.
- Add adjustments, if you have them, to what your company owes:
- Go to Returns > Manage and Approve Returns. Find the region where you want to adjust tax liabilities and then select Manage Returns.
- Find the return you want to adjust and then select Tax Details and Adjustments.
- Select Adjustments to Taxes and Fees or Adjustments to Remittance to see the adjustments:
- Prepayments are adjustments that Avalara remits in addition to what's normally filed.
- Prior payments are adjustments you've already paid on your own, outside AvaTax.
If these adjustments occur regularly, it's a good idea to automate them.
- Reconcile your returns. Depending on what you see on your returns, you may need to:
- When you're finished, select Approve.
If you do not approve a return by 5 p.m. PST on the 10th of the month, Avalara automatically approves it on your behalf.
- Repeat these steps for each jurisdiction where you file returns.
After you approve your returns, Avalara files them for you. You can see the completed returns at the end of the month.