After our compliance team reviews your scheduled returns, you're nearly ready to file. First, though, you should review our calculations, reconcile your returns with what's in your business application and AvaTax Update, and check for any deductions or prepayments.
Before you begin
Your returns need to be set up and then approved by Avalara.
- In AvaTax Update, go to Returns > Manage and Approve Returns. Choose the state whose returns you want to review, and click Manage Returns. You'll see details about your returns, including forms, filing frequencies, monthly sales activity, and tax amounts.
Review this information to make sure it matches what you expected. For more detailed information, including a comparison of tax remitted to Avalara and tax remitted to the jurisdiction, click Tax Details and Adjustments.
Looking for quarterly, semiannual, or annual returns? Click Returns Accruing for a Future Filing Period to see these longer-term returns during months when you don't file them.
- Add adjustments to what your company owes if you have them:
- Go to Returns > Manage and Approve Returns. Find the region where you want to adjust tax liabilities and click Manage Returns.
- Find the return you want to adjust and click Tax Details and Adjustments.
- Click Adjustments to Taxes and Fees or Adjustments to Remittance to see the adjustments. To edit a prepayment, prior payment, or other adjustment number, click Edit. To add a new prepayment or prior payment, click Add Adjustments. If these adjustments occur regularly, it's a good idea to automate them.
- Reconcile your returns. Depending on what you see on your returns, you may need to:
- When you're finished, click Approve.
- Repeat these steps for each jurisdiction where you file returns.
After you approve your returns, Avalara files them for you. You'll be able to see the completed returns at the end of the month.