After Avalara reviews a return you scheduled, it appears at Returns > All Scheduled Returns under the Active list.
Use this list to view and edit the information for returns that you've scheduled to be filed, and also to keep track of regions where you might still need to schedule returns. Avalara reviews pending changes and new scheduled returns between the 1st and the 10th of each month, so don't be surprised if a return you scheduled or a change you made doesn't show up right away.
Submit changes to existing scheduled returns by the last day of the month in which you want to file. For example, if your filing frequency changes in March, you need to submit an updated scheduled return by March 31.
Update return details
Until Avalara files a return, you can edit return details like e-filing username and password, mailing address, and specific form-required information.
To update these details by going to Returns > All scheduled returns and clicking the pencil icon next to the return that you want to modify. When you're done making your updates, click Save Filing Settings.
A return's effective date updates automatically, but the first filing month can't be edited. To change the first filing month after you've submitted the return form, set up a new form with the updated information. The old form automatically expires during the first filing period of the new form.
Update filing frequency
If you receive a notice saying that you need to change your filing frequency so that you're filing earlier in the month, remember that Avalara always files all returns by the 20th of each month. You don't need to make any updates if your new filing deadline is on the 20th or later.
There are a couple different ways of updating the filing frequency for a return, depending on the rules of the taxing jurisdiction. Some jurisdictions have different forms for different filing frequencies, while others use the same form for all of them. Only account administrators can change the filing frequency.
In jurisdictions that require a different form for each filing frequency:
- Go to Returns > All Scheduled Returns.
- Click Add a Tax Return Form.
- Select the correct jurisdiction from the dropdown menu, and click Use This next to the form you want to start filing.
- Fill out the form details and click Save Filing Settings to send the form to Avalara for review.
- Expire the old form on the first filing month of the new form.
In jurisdictions that have the same form for each filing frequency:
- Go to Returns > All Scheduled Returns and click the pencil icon next to the return form you want to edit. If you can't find it in the list, use the search tool.
- If the form hasn't been filed for the first time yet, change the filing frequency in the Filing Frequency dropdown. If the form has been filed at least once before now, click Change the Filing Frequency, select the new filing frequency and first filing period from the dropdown menus, and click Use This Schedule.
- Click I Have special Filing Instructions for Avalara and add a note explaining why you changed the filing frequency. Click Save Filing Settings when you're done.
Find return form changes that you've made, but which haven't taken effect yet, in the Pending section of the All Scheduled Returns page. Your current return form is still visible in the Active section until the change comes into effect, at which point the pending return becomes active and the original form is expired. Avalara reviews pending changes and new scheduled returns between the 1st and the 10th of each month.
Change the location code
Some jurisdictions require that returns be filed for specific locations. To change the location code used on a return in one of those jurisdictions:
- Go to Returns > All scheduled returns and click the pencil icon next to the return form you want to edit. If you can't find it in the list, use the search tool.
- If the return form doesn't have a section labeled Locations, then this return can't be filed by location. If it does, then select one of the options in the Locations section. If you clear the selection, all transactions in the jurisdiction that aren't being used on another location-based form are used to file the return, whether or not they have a location code associated with them.
- Click Save filing settings when you're done
Stop filing a return
Go to Returns > All scheduled returns and click Filing settings next to the return you want to stop filing. On the form settings page, click How do I stop filing this return? and select a final filing period using the dropdown. Click Stop filing this return to schedule the expiration of the return.
If this return hasn't been reviewed and approved by Avalara yet, the How do I stop filing this return? link doesn't appear. If that's the case, click I have special filing instructions for Avalara and enter a comment saying that you want to cancel the return. Similarly, if you're expiring a form and the final filing period that you're looking for isn't in the dropdown list, use the special filing instructions field to tell Avalara when you want the form to expire. Click Save filing settings to send the comment to Avalara.
Once the final filing period has passed, the return is moved to the Expired list, and kept there for your records.
Scheduling a return form a second time automatically expires the original version during the new form's first filing period.