After you send a tax notice to Avalara, it usually takes our compliance team 4-6 weeks to respond and 6-8 weeks to completely resolve the issue depending on the urgency of the notice. However, you can always check the status of a tax notice to see where it's at in the process.
Before you begin
- In AvaTax, go to Returns > Tax Notices. Tax notices are organized by status. Here what the status indicators mean:
- Action Required: You need to do something, for example, respond to our team or contact a tax jurisdiction before we can process the notice.
- Closed: Action Required: We've completed our part. Now, it's your turn to take the next step.
- In Progress: We're currently reviewing the tax notice. We'll update the status when we finish.
- Resolved: We completed the actions required by the tax notice. The notice has been resolved, and you don't need to do anything.
- Select Details next to the notice you want to check to see notes from our compliance team.
- Review the notes and download any files attached to the notice. You may need to update your power of attorney for some notices.