Skip to main content
Avalara Help Center

I use HomeAway/VRBO to rent my property and they collect and pay the taxes on my behalf. Do I need to report this to MyLodgeTax?


You would like to know if you need to report revenue earned on HomeAway/VRBO if they are filing and remitting the tax on your behalf.




  • HomeAway/VRBO is filing some or all of the lodging tax due for their customers in some locations of the country.  The list of locations expands each month.  You can check this website to see where HomeAway/VRBO is currently filing lodging tax: 

  • If HomeAway/VRBO is filing ALL of your required taxes, and:

    • If you only use HomeAway/VRBO, then you do not need our tax filing services and should cancel your account.

    • If you use HomeAway/VRBO as well as other sites, then you should only report revenue earned on the other sites that are not remitting your tax into your MyLodgeTax webpage.

  • If HomeAway/VRBO is filing SOME, but not all of your required taxes, and:

    • If you only use HomeAway/VRBO, please email us at to let us know and we will only assign the taxes that HomeAway/VRBO does not file.  

    • If you use HomeAway/VRBO as well as other sites, you will need to add a second identical property nicknamed “HomeAway/VRBO” so that we can assign all of the required taxes to the 1st property and only the taxes that HomeAway/VRBO does not file to the 2nd property.  When you report revenue, please report revenue earned on other sites on the 1st property (that has all applicable taxes assigned) and revenue earned on HomeAway/VRBO on the 2nd property.

  • Was this article helpful?