Send Avalara a list of items you sell so Avalara can map them to Harmonized System (HS) tariff codes. Items in AvaTax should have both a tariff code and a tax code to ensure that imported and exported products are taxed properly when shipped between countries.
Stored tariff code assignments are included in tax calculations, whether that's in AvaTax or in the customer checkout experience via a supported integration.
Before you begin
Send products via SFTP
Use SFTP to send your product catalog to Avalara.
- Follow the instructions on our developer website to establish a SFTP connection.
- Convert your product catalog into a Google product file.
- Place your product file in the Inbound FTP directory.
- A file containing your completed classifications will be placed in the appropriate Outbound FTP directory after Avalara processes your product file.
Send products via API
Use Avalara's item classification API to retrieve and manage tariff code assignments.
- Follow the instructions on our developer website to send items for classification.
- Tariff code assignments are automatically stored as an Avalara Item object if Avalara stores your tariff code assignments.
- If your subscription doesn't include storage, create a webhook to receive your classifications