This article applies to:Exemption Certificate Management Pro
Add customers that are exempt from sales and use tax, and then enter details about their exemption certificates. Alternatively, import customer and certificate details at the same time.
Before you begin
- Change the way Avalara handles exemption certificates if needed.
- Customers participating in the Avalara SST program must include Business Type and Description information for each exempt customer. See SST exemption requirements.
- In the home page, go to Exemptions > Customers.
- Select Add a customer.
- Enter customer's information, such as:
- Customer name: Enter your customer's name as it appears on exemption documents.
- Customer code: Enter a unique code to identify your customer. This code should match the customer code in your business application.
- Customer's taxpayer ID
- Customer's primary business address
- Customer's contact information
- Tax regions from where customers are expected to submit certificates
- Choose what you want to do next:
- Save: Save the customer record and return to the Customer page.
- Save and add certificate: Save the customer record and continue to add exemption certificate details for the customer.