This article applies to:AvaTax
Learn how to get started managing your exempt customers:
- Add or import tax exempt customers and manage them in one place.
- Edit active exemptions.
- Request new exemptions by email.
- Store exemption documents for audits.
If your business participates in the Avalara SST program, you must add exempt customers before processing transactions. See SST exemption requirements.
Before you begin
- In the Avalara Home page menu, select Exemptions.
The Exemptions page opens.
- Select Get Set Up.
Avalara gets your account ready in the background. This may take a few minutes.
- Add your exempt customers using one of these options:
- Add exempt customers individually, then add exemption certificate details.
- Import customer and exemption certificate information using a template.
- Test your setup.
Use the tax calculator or create a transaction to make sure that your exempt customers are not charged tax.